April 14, 2013

So this is CBT...

Well, I have now been in Peralvillo for almost three weeks and am almost half way through community based training here. I could probably ramble on for hours about things that we are doing, my host mother, and the community, but I will spare you the boredom. Let´s be real--my life isn´t that interesting, it´s just becoming a new normal for me. My stomach is recovering from last week, and I have been back here since Wednesday. My host mother missed me a lot, and was quite excited to see me when I got back...a bit overwhelming for me, but I know she means well.

My daily schedule looks somewhat the same. Wake up around 6am, go running with another trainee and her host sister, get ready, eat breakfast and then go to training at 8. We have training from 8-12, usually this is business training, normally in English. Then we have a lunch break from 12-2, I usually go home as fast as I can, eat as quick as I can so I have time to squeeze in an hour nap before going to Spanish class from 2-5. And then I return home, ususally eat dinner around 7, play dominos for a few hours (I´m becoming really good), and then go to bed typically before 10. Get up and repeat. Since I already went through four year of business classes, the morning sessions are somewhat dry for me...but I´m surviving. Weekends are free to do what we please. I usually spend them with my host family or hanging with the other volunteers. Unfortunately we usually have some sort of homework to do though--so that sometimes puts a damper on what I am able to do.

Last night, I had a get together at my house with volunteers and my Dominican neighbors, which was fun. And today my host sister and I are going to the river to swim and then the bomba (a dance club) with some of her Dominican friends. The pace of life is slower on the weekends (acutally all the time,but with training not so much), which I enjoy. I don´t have to wake up early, but usually am woken up early by the roosters.

This week my host mother said she knows someone with horses, so I will go horseback riding sometime this week. And my host sister has talked about taking me to the beach next weekend! But just as I am becoming accustomed to this community and this host family, it will be time to move back to the capital. AND I WILL FINALLY KNOW WHERE I WILL BE LIVING FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS! Yes it was necessary to put that in all caps.

Also, everyone talks about the weather here when they aren´t gossiping, and I´ve seen posts about MN weather. I know it´s been cold and snowing in MN but consider yourselves lucky. I am a constantly sweating here. And my host mother tells me it´s only going to get hotter. I just laugh, seeing as I cannot imagine more heat\humidity than this. And I not only am I sweating but I´m constantly bathing myself in bug spray because the mosquitos are out of control. I cannot keep them away...sometimes I just want to lay in bed because I am protected with my mostquito net...

Anyway, it´s time for lunch. And I´m surprisingly hungry.

Sweating to death,

LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment