May 14, 2013

The day I have been waiting for...


After spending five days at my new site, all of us trainees came back to the capital this past Sunday.( I returned with an extra friend in my stomach (aka a parasite named Harold). So I have been not feeling the greatest and have been worn out.) We all had many interviews and a language assessment on Monday. And today we were informed that all 33 of us that started training will be sworn in tomorrow as Peace Corps Volunteers. This is really happening. After applying over a year ago, finding out my nomination last November, getting on a plane in March, going through 10 weeks of intensive 8-5 training, the day I have been waiting for is finally here.

My ceremony is tomorrow at 4pm. The ambassador is coming to swear us in, our host families, trainers, and Dominican officials will also be in attendance.  But what I really wish is that the people who have supported me since I made my decision to join the Peace Corps could see me swear in as a volunteer. If it weren't for them, I probably would not be where I am today. It has been there continued support and love that have helped me get to where I am today. And for that I want to say a big THANK YOU! For me, this truly is a dream come true.

So what happens next? Well I return to my site on Friday. I received a new host family in the city of Cotui, due to a few problems with my original host family. And so I will be living in the city for the first three months. My first three months of actual service I will be conducting a community and organizational diagnostic. So in short, my job is to literally meet everyone in the community and conduct surveys and listen to histories. As well as look at the organization (women’s group) and see their current business plans. AKA sit around, drink coffee, and build relationships! Then I do actually have to write a paper in Spanish and give a presentation at the beginning of August.

Then after my presentation and assessment of the community and organization I will start implementing plans and working. I will be able to move out of my host family’s home and live on my own. And I will also be able to take vacation and have visitors (*hint,hint*)! Although I've only been here for two months, I have already started planning out some things for the future, and it feels like these two years will fly by! I know there is still a long way to go, with hopefully more successes than failures and more laughter than tears. I know that I have a lot of adventuring ahead of me and a lot more blogs to write. I hope you will continue reading! :)

PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer),

LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment