March 28, 2013

The Art of the Bucket Bath

This week is Holy Week. Which means I will be attending mass Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. It also means that I don't have training on Friday!  It is also the last week of core training, which means two tests. Luckily they weren't too difficult and I am still a PCT.

On Monday we move to a new city and begin CBT (Community Based Training). Our group is broken up into our respective sectors (business and education) and we live in two different cities. CBT includes a mix of business training as well as many field trips to different businesses, and Spanish 4 hours a day! I'm excited to move out of the city but am not sure when I'll have internet next...

I will miss my host family here though. I have become familiar with my neighbors. And it has started to feel more like home. I have a routine, and moving will mean beginning all over, with a new family, new neighbors and a new routine.

One thing that I have mastered here is the bucket bath. I usually "shower" once a day. Twice if I'm extra sweaty. To begin, I fill up the bucket with cold water. This city has not had rain in a long while, so I try to shower with the least amount of water as possible. Usually I use around 1/2 a gallon to a gallon of water (impressive, I know). Now, the water is never warm, usually quite chilly. I use a smaller bucket and drench my head on them first scoop of water. As the water runs down my body the goose bumps start. No matter how hot I am, it is always shockingly cold. I then shampoo my hair and soap up my body, then rinse with a few dumps of water. I then condition and if needed, shave my legs (which is difficult to do when I'm cold). Then a few more rinses and I'm done and clean...until I dry off and promptly begin sweating again.

What this has made me realize is how much I have taken simple things, like water, for granted. I have never had to worry about running out of water or power outages (which are a daily occurance here). And each day I am learning to adapt and figuring out that one does not need much to live. I have come go enjoy my bucket baths and the times when we don't have power, I enjoy napping or porch sitting. Situations like these force me out of my comfort zone and into another person's daily reality. And situations like these bring people closer together. And for that I am thankful.

Simply living,
LJ

P.S. As my Spanish is improving my English may be getting worse. You have been warned.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like bathtime in Brilad. Remember?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lauren -

    I teach ESL at Morris Bye with your mom, and I have volunteered in Tutova and know Barlad. You are from a part of the world that holds a special spot in my heart.

    I am loving reading about your adventures. The Peace Corps continues to be a dream of mine, so please continue to update as you can.

    Also, thank you for the reminders of not taking things for granted. Certainly something we all need to remember.

    Enjoy everything and call/Skype your mom!

    - Kristi Weidlein

    ReplyDelete